Friday, August 7, 2009

With This Ring...

I remember the moment that Jon proposed. I was so overwhelmed with emotion as he put that ring on my finger. The most beautiful ring I had ever seen. I was never going to take it off. It was perfect to me.

Then there was the process of finding the perfect wedding band to go with it. I thought about it a lot...until one day I was going through my jewelry and I realized I already had the perfect wedding band. My mom had given me the wedding band she wore when she was married to my dad many years ago shortly after he had passed away. It was two tone and miraculously matched my engagement ring perfectly. So, I told Jon and he loved the idea and I set off to get it sized. Wedding band=check!!

I remember taking the wedding band out on numerous occasions during our engagement and being so excited about Jon putting it on my hand on our wedding day. It would be the symbol of our love, a circle that never ends, etc.

On our wedding day I remember us looking at each other and exchanging vows and putting the rings on each other. During our honeymoon I know I probably looked at my hand and Jon's a million times with rings on our hands. It was so exciting, exhilarating. We would both get these big cheesy grins...we really did it...we are married!!

For several weeks afterward I didn't want to ever take the rings off. I would even avoid doing things like the dishes because I didn't want to have to take my rings off. (or maybe I was just subconsciously avoiding the dishes...lol) Looking back I laugh at myself for being so weird about it. Jon takes his off all the time, especially when he is in the shower, and I will find it later because he has NEVER worn a ring and still isn't 100% used to it.

I have relaxed some about it. I realized yesterday as I took them off to do some dishes. I thought, they are just rings and whether Jon and I have rings or not our love for each other is still there. How silly to put so much pressure on two little rings. They are not what holds our love, it is our hearts. We don't show our love through those rings, but through our actions to each other.

But, I am a girl and I will continue to wear my bling proudly!! And I will love Jon and Jon will love me, rings or no rings.

2 comments:

  1. I hardly ever take my bling off! Sometimes in the shower..I'm afraid of the drain! Otherwise, it stays on.

    I hope Will wears his wedding band when we're married. (He doesn't wear jewelry either.) My dad never did and I know it made my mom feel weird :(

    Like you say, the rings are just symbols, but it's nice to see your other half wearing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love it. I didn't get to take my engagement ring on the honeymoon because the stone was loose, and I felt weird not having it. Josh can't wear his for work, and I hate it when he forgets to put it back on... but you're right, rings or no rings, we're still married.

    ReplyDelete